Sunday, February 27, 2011

Religious Hullabaloos on Facebook


I have been watching a lot of religious posts and videos on facebook lately. Reminds me of something I read a long time back (Kushwanth Singh I guess) which goes something like “Religion is like your underwear. Don’t boast about it in public”.

My take on religion and god as it stands now.
  1. God exists – With form or without form. I just need someone to talk to about my worries and feel relieved that he will take care of me if I don’t do anything wrong.
  2. Faith doesn’t need logical reasoning. All beliefs are blind but that doesn't make them evil
  3. Any religion is as logical and scientific as the growth of science at the time in which it was created. If someone started writing a new Bagavath geeta or Bible or Quran, I am sure he will include a periodic table in it.
  4. Anything vague and sophisticated can be interpreted in n number of ways. If I write something like “And it will burn from inside and erupt killing all those who took the forbidden spirit” , it can be interpreted as a “Vyaja madya durantham” (Methanol poisoning) or a volcanic eruption which will destroy all who neglected a religious rule.
  5. Everybody has a right to believe in his religion. To say that mine is the only religion is to say that someone else’s is not. Your religion is between you and your god.No one needs to see your underwear.
  6. We are not even the tiniest speck in this whole universe. If god created it, why would he need our advertisement? 
  7. Did all those Neanderthals and Cromagnons and the rest of our pre religious ancestors go to hell?

6 comments:

roshith said...

According to Carl Marx

“Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand”

and

"The more of himself man attributes to God, the less he has left in himself".

Varun said...

I think religion is good if people keep it to themselves. Nowadays people are talking as if religion is the most logical thing in this world..

M P said...

agreeing with the author, a comment on roshith's comment.Hinduism has an elite pure level of thoughts which is commonly referred to as spirituality, where man and God become one and the man himself recognises himself to be the God, or 'atman', so the quote-"The more of himself man attributes to God, the less he has left in himself". is not agreeable as per the hindu belief.

In a bit contradiction to dear varun's comment, they say god is most logical thing one can perceive, as he himself can experience HIM.just like we cannot perceive UV rays or hear ultrasonic sound with our senses, god too cannot be perceived as such, if you are not pure. Hinduism says, make urself pure, you will see god, as many have perceived. But being pure is the toughest level of the game, shedding all the worldly desires, often for which man lives..!

it is just my observation and opinion,with utmost respect to the author, roshith and varun, ur friend...

Varun said...

Thanks MP for your comments..Much appreciated.Just wanted to add a few things
1) Experiencing something doesn't make it logical.I do experience god's power. But can I logically explain it? I guess not.
2) I strongly believe in Hindu spirituality.But I dont know about other religions. If I was born in a Muslim family I would be following the Quran.My point is that we should be sensitive about what we post on public forums. When I publicly say that my belief is true, I am
a) Being stupid because I don't have proof for my belief. (Ohm or Alla imprinted on rocks or animals are neither proofs nor miracles)
b) Offending someone else by implicitly stating that his belief is wrong.

So my stand is that we should keep our beliefs with ourselves or discuss it in closed forums.

Sandeep Karun said...

For me god is nature. The faces you give to god are the forces of it.

Varun said...

Agree with that Sandeepetta.. I think that is why most of the Hindu gods are associated with the forces of nature.
You cannot appreciate the painter without appreciating his painting.